The Marathon Shuffle is an annual rite of spring for many — it takes place on the last weekend of every April. The Marathon Shuffle is hosted by PAWS (Powell River Parks and Wilderness Society), Tla’amin Nation, Club Fat Ass, and the BOMB Squad. On the shuffle we traverse the new Tla’amin Nation Treaty Settlement Lands, and we raise up our hands to them.
*CHANGES ARE COMING TO THE MARATHON SHUFFLE!! Due to the extraordinary ongoing interest in this event, a new partner for PAWS, and heading back to our roots for the 25th anniversary of the Marathon Shuffle, we are making some changes in 2018! Here’s a summary of what we have in store:
1) The Shuffle will take place over TWO DAYS this year. The Half Shuffle will take place on Saturday, April 28 (stay tuned for details on the route), and the Full Shuffle will take place on Sunday, April 29 (route will be the same as always).
2) We are thrilled to be partnering with Tla’amin Nation, that is going to be taking over organization of the Half Shuffle Event! A warm welcome to our new partners!
3) Because we are still working out all the details, registration will open later than usual this year on MARCH 1st. Be sure to mark the date and come back to secure your spot for the Shuffle. We’re expecting it to be as busy as ever, so register starting March 1!
- A fun, low key shuffle (hike or run) on a 29 km section of the Sunshine Coast Trail
- Half Shuffle (~12km) option
- Hosted by PAWS, Tla’amin Nation, Club Fat Ass, and the BOMB Squad to promote the beauty of the Sunshine Coast Trail
- Great single-track trails through old growth, temperate rain forests, along creeks and lake shores, through dales and over hills
- Along the way see one of the 14 shelters constructed on the Sunshine Coast Trail, most of which include sleeping lofts, picnic tables and outhouses
- Magnificent vistas of the Sunshine Coast, adjacent islands, nearby lakes and the city.
- Free event, but donations to PAWS to maintain the trail are appreciated (gas, oil, repairs, replacement tools). Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2
- Please note, this is a TRASH FREE event
- This event attracts runners and hikers from across the province, and further afield as well. The current record holders for the Full Shuffle are:
- Male: Graham Cocksedge (Powell River) 2:13:38 (2016)
- Female: Nicola Gildersleeve (Vancouver) 2:52:23 (2015)
- The 2018 Marathon Shuffle will take place on: HALF SHUFFLE – Saturday, April 28 and the FULL SHUFFLE – Sunday, April 29
- There is no entry fee for this event; however donations to PAWS and Tla’amin Nation are encouraged and most welcome. Donations to Tla’amin Nation will go towards raising funds for the 2020 Tribal Canoe Journey, and donations to PAWS will be used for Sunshine Coast Trail maintenance and development (gas, tools, repairs, building materials, transportation).
- Please sign up for this free event online. Registration for both the HALF and FULL SHUFFLE will open on March 1, 2018.
- If you are interested in a PAWS membership, or in making a donation to PAWS, please click below to pay via PayPal, or you can send a cheque to Powell River Parks And Wilderness Society, Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2. PAWS will also take your cash at the event, and write tax-deductible receipts.
Thanks to our Sponsors for the 2017 Event: