The Marathon Shuffle is an annual rite of spring for many — it takes place on the last Sunday of every April. The Marathon Shuffle is hosted by PAWS (Powell River Parks and Wilderness Society), Club Fat Ass, the Powell River Hikers and the BOMB (Bloody Old Men’s Brigade) Squad. On the shuffle we traverse the new Tla’amin Nation Treaty Settlement Lands, and we raise up our hands to them.
*PLEASE NOTE! ALL SIGN IN FOR BOTH THE FULL AND HALF SHUFFLES WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE SHINGLEMILL THIS YEAR. THERE WILL BE NO SIGN IN AT MALASPINA ROAD OR TOMKINSON ROAD SO ALL SHUFFLERS MUST REGISTER AT THE SHINGLEMILL. FOR MORE INFO, SEE THE AGENDA.
- A fun, low key shuffle (hike or run) on a 29 km section of the Sunshine Coast Trail.
- Half Shuffle (12km) option
- Hosted by PAWS, Club Fat Ass, the Powell River Hikers and the BOMB Squad to promote the beauty of the Sunshine Coast Trail
- Great single-track trails through old growth, temperate rain forests, along creeks and lake shores, through dales and over hills
- Along the way see one of the 13 shelters constructed on the Sunshine Coast Trail, most of which include sleeping lofts, picnic tables and outhouses
- Magnificent vistas of the Sunshine Coast, adjacent islands, nearby lakes and the city.
- Free event, but donations to PAWS to maintain the trail are appreciated (gas, oil, repairs, replacement tools). Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2
- Please note, this is a TRASH FREE event
- This event attracts runners and hikers from across the province, and further afield as well. The current record holders for the Full Shuffle are:
- Male: Graham Cocksedge (Powell River) 2:13:38 (2016)
- Female: Nicola Gildersleeve (Vancouver) 2:52:23 (2015)
- The next Marathon Shuffle will take place on Sunday, April 30, 2017
- There is no entry fee for this event; however donations to PAWS are encouraged and most welcome. All donations go towards trail maintenance and development (gas, tools, repairs, building materials, transportation).
- Please sign up for this free event online and in advance. Registration for the 2017 Marathon Shuffle is now full, but we are taking names for a waiting list, which will be filled on a first come, first served basis. Event limit: 450 participants.
- If you are interested in a PAWS membership, or in making a donation to PAWS, please click below to pay via PayPal, or you can send a cheque to Powell River Parks And Wilderness Society, Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2. PAWS will also take your cash at the event, and write tax-deductible receipts.
Thanks to our Sponsors for the 2016 Event: