REGISTRATION FOR THE 2019 MARATHON SHUFFLE OPENS FEBRUARY 22, 2019
The Marathon Shuffle is an annual Spring Tradition for many. Taking place the last weekend of April, this popular event is run by the Powell River Parks and Wilderness Society (PRPAWS), with the valued support of the Tla’amin Nation, Club Fat Ass, and the Bloody Old Men’s Brigade (BOMB) Squad. We acknowledge that the Shuffle’s course passes through Tla’amin Nation Treaty Settlement Lands, and we are thankful for being able to share these lands for this event.
PRPAWS is celebrating the 26th Anniversary of the Marathon Shuffle in 2019.
The “Full”, 29-kilometre Shuffle will be held on Sunday, April 28. It will follow its traditional route from Malaspina Road to the Shinglemill.
What Is The Shuffle?
- A free hike, run, or “shuffle” along a 29-kilometre section of the Sunshine Coast Trail, where the focus is on fun, and participants can choose their level of competitiveness.
- A collaborative effort between PRPAWS, the Tla’amin Nation, Club Fat Ass, and the BOMB Squad to promote the world class Sunshine Coast Trail
- An experience that takes the participant on a course through pockets of preserved old growth and temperate rainforest, alongside creeks and lakes, through dales, over hills, and past one of the 15 iconic huts of the SCT, sleeping loft, picnic table and outhouse included.
- An event that offers magnificent panoramas of the coast, ocean inlets, Salish Sea islands, backcountry lakes, and bird’s eye views of the City of Powell River itself.
- A free event, but donations to PRPAWS are appreciated in order to maintain and upgrade the trail, its huts and other backcountry amenities.
- A ZERO WASTE event
- An event that attracts runners and hikers from across the province and beyond our borders. The current record holders for the Shuffle are:
- Male: Graham Cocksedge (Powell River) 2:13:38 (2016)
- Female: Nicola Gildersleeve (Vancouver) 2:52:23 (2015)
When is the Shuffle?
- The 2019 Marathon Shuffle will take place on Sunday, April 28th
How Much is the Shuffle?
- There is no entry fee for the event; however, donations to PAWS are encouraged and very much welcome. Donations to PAWS will be used to support the PAWS volunteer efforts to maintain and upgrade the trail, huts, and other backcountry amenities. PAWS thanks the businesses, organizations, governments and individuals for their generosity and support in our effort to establish a world-class recreation/tourism facility.
How Does One Register as a Participant?
- Registration for the Shuffle will open on February 22, 2019.
- If you are interested in a PRPAWS membership, or in making a donation to PRPAWS, you can:
- Utilize PayPal
- Send a cheque to Powell River Parks And Wilderness Society, Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2.
- Pay cash at the event
- Please Note that Donations greater than $20 will be issued a tax receipt