The Marathon Shuffle is an annual rite of spring for many — it takes place on the last weekend of every April. The Marathon Shuffle is hosted by PRPAWS (Powell River Parks and Wilderness Society), Tla’amin Nation, Club Fat Ass, and the BOMB Squad. On the shuffle we traverse the new Tla’amin Nation Treaty Settlement Lands, and we raise up our hands to them.
PRPAWS is celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Marathon Shuffle in 2018.
The Full and Half Shuffle will be held on separate days in 2018 and the Half Shuffle will take place on a different section of the Sunshine Cost Trail than in previous years.
The full, 29-kilometre Shuffle will be held on Sunday, April 29. It will follow the traditional route from Malaspina Road to the Shinglemill.
The Half Shuffle will be held the day before, on Saturday, April 28. It will follow the Sunshine Coast Trail from Haywire Bay to the Shinglemill, an 8-kilometre route. The Half Shuffle is being sponsored by Tla’amin Nation’s 2020 Tribal Canoe Journey group and all donations during the Half Shuffle will go towards this initiative.
- A fun, low key shuffle (hike or run) on a 29-kilometre section of the Sunshine Coast Trail
- Half Shuffle (~8-kilometre) option
- Hosted by PAWS, Tla’amin Nation, Club Fat Ass, and the BOMB Squad to promote the beauty of the Sunshine Coast Trail
- Great single-track trails through old growth, temperate rain forests, along creeks and lake shores, through dales and over hills
- Along the way see one of the 15 shelters constructed on the Sunshine Coast Trail, most of which include sleeping lofts, picnic tables and outhouses
- Magnificent vistas of the Sunshine Coast, adjacent islands, nearby lakes and the city.
- Free event, but donations to PAWS to maintain the trail are appreciated (gas, oil, repairs, replacement tools). Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2
- Please note, this is a TRASH FREE event
- This event attracts runners and hikers from across the province, and further afield as well. The current record holders for the Full Shuffle are:
- Male: Graham Cocksedge (Powell River) 2:13:38 (2016)
- Female: Nicola Gildersleeve (Vancouver) 2:52:23 (2015)
- The 2018 Marathon Shuffle will take place on: HALF SHUFFLE – Saturday, April 28 and the FULL SHUFFLE – Sunday, April 29
- There is no entry fee for this event; however donations to PAWS and Tla’amin Nation’s 2020 Tribal Canoe Journey group are encouraged and most welcome. Donations to PAWS will be used for Sunshine Coast Trail maintenance, transportation and building a new shelter).
- Please sign up for this free event online. Registration for both the HALF and FULL SHUFFLE will open on March 1, 2018.
- If you are interested in a PAWS membership, or in making a donation to PAWS, please click below to pay via PayPal, or you can send a cheque to Powell River Parks And Wilderness Society, Box 345, Powell River, BC, V8A 5C2. PAWS will also take your cash at the event, and write tax-deductible receipts.