This page is for the crazy people who choose to run the ~180 kilometre Sunshine Coast Trail. Our hope is that this page will become the place where runners go to find everything they need to know about the trail from the running perspective. It’s a new page and the person who manages it (Ean Jackson) would prefer to be out running, so please be patient as there is much work to be done….
We’re planning to add a place where runners can plan their runs on the Sunshine Coast Trail with the help of other runners.
Through Runners and FKTs (Fastest Known Times)
This section is dedicated to acknowledging the efforts of those who have run the trail nonstop.
|Time (hrs:min)||Date||Name||Distance (km)||Other|
|27:20||2020-Aug||Nick Duff||176||male record-holder|
|28:56||2018-Jul||Christophe Le Saux|
|33:50||2014-Sep||Nicola Gildersleve||176||female record-holder|
Notes on FKTs, Through Running and Records
- The trail has changed over time. The routes chosen by runners may have been different. The condition of the trail, the weather etc. are all factors. What does “unsupported” mean? We can debate these things in the discussion forum.
XS-NRG (ultra running documentary)
The documentary XS-NRG follows four athletes who push the boundaries of human endurance in pursuit of adventure. Their challenge: be the first to run the 180km Sunshine Coast Trail on the West Coast of British Columbia, non-stop. Run four back-to-back marathons? On rugged, mountain trails? With no sleep and no aid for hours at a time? Seems inconceivable, if not downright crazy. Elite ultra marathon runners, however, call it fun.
Running buddies Dave Cressman, Ean Jackson, and the Repta brothers Dom and Wade are among Canada’s top endurance athletes, and finishing this task will take everything they’ve got. Trail builder Eagle Walz and other members of the Powell River Parks and Wilderness Society pitch in to help make this nutty scheme possible, though they aren’t convinced these city boys are going to make it. XS-NRG takes you on a journey through old growth forest and into the mind of the Ultra-marathon athlete where inspirational acts of spirit over body occur. This is not a race. This is a story of teamwork and community where four minds work together as one. There are no rewards at the finish line other than cold beer and the company of good friends… and, maybe, a few bragging rights.
- Trail information: Recently updated to the 5th edition, The Sunshine Coast Trail Hut-to-Hut Hiking book (Walz, R. E.) is a must-have for anyone attempting to run the trail.
- The Sunshine Coast Shuttle specializes in helping people to get to and from the Sunshine Coast Trail.
Running Events on the Sunshine Coast Trail
- Marathon Shuffle. This 29K event has been hosted by qPAWS since 1993. It is usually held on the last Sunday of April.
- Last update to this page was December 2022. If you’d like to see something here updated (corrections, helpful resources, etc.) please contact Ean Jackson.