BC Trails Day – ‘Intro to the Sunshine Coast Trail’ 5K Hike
Powell River, BC (13 May 2022) – Celebration of International Trails Day with ‘Introduction to the Sunshine Coast Hiking Trail’ Event
At 10:00 am on Saturday 4 June, the Tla’amin Nation and PRPAWS (Powell River Parks and Wilderness Society) will celebrate BC Trails Day with a free, family-friendly 5K hike, intended to introduce new hikers and new community members to the Sunshine Coast Trail.
Held each spring on the first Saturday in June, this day draws attention to hiking trails and encourages folks to experience nature first-hand. Since 1992, hiking associations and nature lovers worldwide have adopted the date to showcase local trails.
“It’s a fact: The Tla’amin Traditional Lands have some of the best access to nature on the planet, if not the universe,” says Eagle Walz, one of the founders of the world-famous Sunshine Coast Trail. “We hope that current, as well as future generations, will be able to enjoy this unique gift of nature. The best way to understand nature…to gain respect for it…is to experience it… to honour it. Nature is something people of all ages can enjoy. A hike in the woods costs nothing and offers incredible emotional and health values. We thank the Tla’amin Nation for sharing it and raise our hands to them.”
The event is open to all ages and abilities. Families, elders, newcomers, and visitors are encouraged to join.
Details of the Little Tla’amin Lake Hiking Event:
- Saturday 4 June @ 10:00. Rain or shine. Welcome by Tla’amin Hegus John Hackett and Eagle Walz, PRPAWS
- Meet at the Sunshine Coast Trail access point in the community of Wildwood. From Lund Street at the corner of Wildwood Public House take Sutherland Avenue to the end. Go right onto Wolfson Street to the parking area. Note: Parking is limited. Please do not block driveways.
- Hike will be roughly 5-kilometres total distance out and back on rolling terrain and easy-moderate trails through Tla’amin Traditional Lands to Little Sliammon Lake
- The high point of the gentle trail is about 1.5 km from the start – and a natural turnaround for those whose time is limited
- Participants are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing and footwear and bring water and snacks, and to pace themselves and smell the aromas
- Hike will be moderated by Eagle Walz and Keith Laughton of PRPAWS
Registration is not required. Hope to see you there!